Diabetes is a problem caused due to the deficiency of insulin. This problem is a grave one and is increasing with each passing day. However, it is a cause for concern since it not just affects your overall health but also has an adverse effect on your teeth and gums.
Understanding the oral problems of diabetes
If you are having diabetes chances are you are host to a number of gum and teeth problems, as your teeth and gums are not immune from the hazards of diabetic problems. It can give rise to severe periodontal diseases.
Gum disease treatments and periodontal disease treatments are of course available at your disposal but firstly it should start from taking proper care of your teeth.
What are the various types of dental problems one can face?
- Gingivitis– Unhealthy or inflamed gums, which gives rise to red or swollen gums. Treatments are Daily brushing and flossing and regular checkups with the dentist.
- Periodontists– A type of gum disease which can go from mild to severe. Treatments are deep cleaning, gum surgery in severe cases.
- Oral burning– A kind of burning sensation in the mouth due to uncontrolled blood sugar levels. Symptoms are dry mouth, bitter taste, burning sensation in the mouth. Treatments are keeping in check your blood sugar levels, changing your medicine according to the symptoms.
Other problems which should be taken care of-
- Sores or ulcers which cannot heal holes in your teeth, a changed sense of taste, loose teeth.
Why are diabetics more susceptible to dental problems?
- Diabetics often cannot produce sufficient saliva levels which can hamper the proper cleansing of cavity causing debris and bacteria in the mouth.
- Also out of the balance sugar levels can promote cavities, slow healing and give rise to gum diseases.
Dental Care for Diabetes
A good oral hygiene is very important anyways. Whether you have diabetes or not, regularly brushing, flossing and rinsing regularly are some of the basic care you have to take.
But it doesn’t end here. There are many other aspects which you should take of which goes beyond normal care of taking health. Diabetics need to be overall vigilant about their dental health.
If you are a diabetic visit the dentist regularly to ensure that your dental problems are promptly taken care of and you can adhere to the best treatments. We will give you a perfect smile makeover you can ever dream of.