Teeth grinding, or Bruxism is one of the most common conditions around and world and surprisingly, most of us don’t know about it. The reason behind it is that 80% of Bruxism happens when individuals are asleep and hence goes unnoticed. In this article, we cover the types, symptoms, causes, affects, prevention and treatment of Bruxism.
1. Sleep Bruxism
2. Awake Bruxism
1. A grinding sound during night – This can be experienced by your roommate or partner (anyone who shares the bedroom with you)
2. A light headache in the morning
3. Unexplained Facial Pain
4. Pain in the jaw joint
5. A little swelling in the lower jaw
1. Misaligned Teeth
3. Side Effects of Medication
6. Competitive, Aggressive or Hyperactive Personality Type
7. Mental or Medical Disorders
Affects of Bruxism:
1. Temporomandibular disorders (TMD)
2. Permanent Tooth Damage
Prevention of Bruxism:
1. Be Aware- The first step towards preventing Bruxism is to be observant and aware if you are grinding your teeth when awake or in case it happens during sleep, your partner can inform you of the same. Once aware, pay attention and try to avoid grinding your teeth during the day.
2. Find the cause- If you are stressed about anything during the day or on long term, find the root cause to alleviate the reason, thus preventing Bruxing.
3. Visit your Endodontist regularly- A regular visit to you Endodontist can help determine if there are any symptoms of Bruxing and if any damage is caused that is not visible to you yet.
Endodontic treatment in Pune has grown advanced over the last decade and hence nullifies the need of travelling to metropolis for the same. Depending on the cause of the Bruxism, your endodontist shall suggest the apt treatment.
For instance, if you are experiencing Bruxism due to stress, your endodontist will suggest therapy, biofeedback exercises and counseling.
If it is medical, let’s say misalignment of teeth, the dentist might need to reshape your teeth to treat the Bruxism and so on. For more information on dental health, visit our website- https://www.dentalsphere.in/